Wanna talk in english?

• Moin,

da mein Englisch aktuell ein wenig arg einrostet, suche ich nette Leute, mit denen man sich (erstmal schriftlich :P , wenns bissl gefestigt ist gerne auch mündlich) ein wenig unterhalten kann.
    Dies kann ganz normaler Smalltalk sein, gerne auch Diskussionen zu gemeinsam festgelegten Themen.

Jemand interesse? =)

Viele Grüße,
    Lyssaroa

Twitter | Facebook | Twitch | Discord | Steam

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Projektkoordinator Öffentlichkeitsarbeit

Creating happiness for players

• Sounds wonderful ^^ I've gotten a bit out of practice myself. Never really get the chance to talk (or write) English anymore. At least not since I had to suspend my studies :/

Soooo ... what do you wanna talk about? :3 Seen the last episode of GoT?

One, two! One, two! and through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

• No, i'm not very interested in movies and series. So I haven't seen ANY episodes of GoT.
    Last movie i've seen is "illuminati" last weekend. I enjoyed this film very much because of dramatic and exciting scenes =)

Why you never got the chance to talk in english? :(
    My english isn't good as well but i want to improve it cause upcoming IT-job where i MUST can speak fluent english.

My biggest problem in english actually is gramatic, so i think just talk in english can solve the problem(?). Furthermore i use an english learning problem to fix "some errors" :D

(bei groben grammatik/sprachfehlern bitte drauf hinweisen^^)

• I think it is a great idea to speak and write more english. I am very interested to join a training group. But i think we need to have a native speaker who knows grammar and pronouncement.

q:P [kappa.7345]

• If you want to improve your english, I can reccomend two tactics. First- watch movies in english with english subtitles. You will understand more than you would guess now. The english subtitles are for the better understanding of mumbling actors ;) that tactic should be applied even more to movies, that you watch a second time

Second tactic is to just keep on talking in english to certain people. If you like, we can hold our konversation only in english from now on. This might be a bit peculiar in the beginning, but only active talking will improve your language skills ;) I offer the same to Carsten as well

And start watching GoT for *** sake !!! In english of course

Carsten how did you like the last episode and what do you think was in that tower? ;)

You don't really need to find a native speaker. Someone who spent some time abroad can do the job as well. Furthermore you can also look up the grammatics on the internet. I think the goal here is to make usage of the english, become more confident.

Correctings:
    - gramatic -> grammatics or grammar
    - must - is zwar correct, aber ich finde have to immer besser ^^

On the off chance that you're not going to live forever, why not take a shot at being happy now?

• If you want to improve your english, I can reccomend two tactics. First- watch movies in english with english subtitles. You will understand more than you would guess now. [...]

i understand u that listening to english content improve the skill rapidly.
    But...movies... 8o

Why i should watch GoT? :P

Naaruil should speak on a high level.

• Yeah movies :) The advantage is, you will understand more than you will from just listening to something. Because in movies you have the visual context and therefore your mind will faster connect the said things to the right words. Same counts for the subs. Just try it for like half a year and I promise you will understand more in the end.

And why GoT? Cause it rocks 8) You can also choose another series. Advantage of series is that you get used to the art of its language. You know how a character talks, what language he/she uses to express him/herself. This is what you do in every life as well - you adapt to the way ppl talk and this is how you understand. In a series you can practise that very well. GoT is just one (hell of a good) example. I can also reccomend The Newsroom, Sherlock (but only if you watch it in german first ^^), Black Sails, House of Cards ...

On the off chance that you're not going to live forever, why not take a shot at being happy now?

• I started with watching my favorite movies in english. It helped me a lot. But the lack of practice is quiet a problem.

Playing Guild Wars helps a little. There are a lot of english speaking players.

The problem i see is, no one corrects you if you make a mistake. So like Kappa said, somebody who can point out the mistakes would be best.

• Imiak: Are u play guild wars 2 in english? So you can hear every movie, conversations in english?
    Very good idea to play in english, setup the OS to english language.

I hope shantra, naaruil and other good speakers WILL find any "big" mistakes and will notice us. ;)

Shantra: yeah! Some reasons to do it but I'm not so convinced to watch GoT. Any other reasons - or other movies / series u can prefer?
    Note: Gossip Girl is NOT a good series :D

--------------
    edit: i really love listening to english music and sometimes i translate the songs "live" to german. On the other hand, if i listen to german songs i sometimes translate live in english as well.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Lyssaroa ()

• I'd like to join in. :D
    I might be able to point out a few mistakes if I see them as I was able to speak reasonably fluent English over the last years (had to talk in English at work and with my partner back then) but as usual, once you stop talking everyday, you start forgetting. :/ So it might be a good exercise for me, too. Watching movies/series in English is a good idea. Also, try to read books! There's a whole lot of grammar you learn from them, and it helps to develop a feeling for a sentence to "sound right".

I can absolutely recommend watching GoT as well ^^ It's my favorite series - and regarding the tower scene? Epic birth of J.S. if you ask me xD

----
    "Are u play guild wars 2 in english?" => Are you playing Guild Wars 2 in English. (look up "Present Continuous"). Also, use a capital letter for countries & languages, e.g. German, English.

• The good thing is, that most native english speaking people will never correct you.
    They know it's not your native language, and it's ok for them.
    Even in business situations it's fine to speak 'broken/simple english'.
    I worked 10 years+ for a fortune 500 company, and never had a communications problem from normal workers up to top level management.

English speaking people are very polite, and if you dont unterstand a word/sentence, just ask them to repeat it.

A good start to brush up your rusty english is watching news on tv like BBC or CNN.
    While listening to the news you also learn the different accents: Brits, 'muricans, and worst case aussies. :)
    Reading books you know in german helps too. Eg. lord of the rings.
    Watching tv series is also great. Start with something very british like Dr. Who.

Ps.: The reason most native speakers will never correct you:
    "Never make fun of someone who speaks broken English. It means they know another language."
    H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Ihr werdet in GW2 alles wiederfinden was ihr an GW1 geliebt habt. .... Sie haben gelogen!

(Teil)Inaktiv und Spaß daran.

• A great idea, you had! I think this is a simple but effective method for training your English skills.
    I do watch most of the videos, movies and series in English and I have to say: After the first time, where you miss out on some of the topics is is much easier to understand the whole part even though you might not know some of the words in particular. Of cause listening does only help the writing to a certain extend but I find it usefull anyway.

By now I changed nearly all of my games to English text and sound. That comes around with another neat feature: The voice-acting of some titles is SO MUCH BETTER in the original language - which often is English.
    I can also agree to Koosun, that from my experience with native speakers they are happy, sometimes even gald hearing you spaek English - no matter how aweful is may be.

Keep on practicing... learning by doing!

„Die Zeit vergeht nicht schneller als früher, aber wir laufen eiliger an ihr vorbei.“

(George Orwell)

Projektkoordination Web-Events: Lumiku und Jeromus

• I think you have to mark this conversation as GoT spoiler. (I haven't read most of your comments because I was afraid to get spoilered) :D

"Hinter dieser Maske ist nicht nur Fleisch, hinter dieser Maske steckt eine Idee!
    Und Ideen, Mister Creedy, sind kugelsicher!"

• Touch...

Dass ihr Menschen um von einer Sache zu reden, gleich da sprechen müsst: Das ist töricht, das ist klug, das ist gut, das ist böse! Und was will das alles heißen? Habt ihr deswegen die inneren Verhältnisse einer Handlung erforscht? Wisst ihr mit Bestimmtheit die Ursachen zu entwickeln warum sie geschah? Warum sie geschehen musste? Hättet ihr das, würdet ihr nicht so eilfertig mir eurem Urteil sein!

~Werther

• Carsten how did you like the last episode and what do you think was in that tower? ;)

Spoiler alert!

Playing Guild Wars 2 in English is a good start. In fact - try to do as much stuff in English as you can. Especially things you enjoy doing, because that way the learning part just happens kind of by itself. Of course this only works once you've mastered the basics.

[modpostinfo][/modpostinfo]

Aus Spoilergründen wurde dieser Beitrag moderativ bearbeitet und ein Spoiler wurde eingefügt.

One, two! One, two! and through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

• if you want to get better, also meeting up in teamspeak will benefit your verbal skills.
    since i was sixteen, i always watched series with subtitles and that was a big boost for my writing skills and also understanding / hearing. after meeting up in teamspeak with my raidteam and with people which don't speak german generally, i got pretty good at it...you shouln't be too shy when you do this and also you may want to start conversations like you did here.
    and most important, even on teamspeak, ask if you don't know how to pronounce a word or how to say something, like describe it with words so others can understand what you want to get over. people will help you most of the times. (i heard, there are some not german communitys wich i absolutly can't type out on this forum, because i fear the moderators :x ...you can give it a try there maybe if you don't know any players wich speak english)

also www.leo.de is great. you don't know a word? alt-tab out of the game, type in the german / english word your want to know / do not understand and you will get your results.

you also may want to use the google translator, i prefer leo myself because most of the time words in english have more then one meaning or there are more words for one thing, but it depends on the situation where u use wich word. there are even complete examples, so i think leo is better for you then google.

...just look up the mean word mean, and then you know what i mean. ;D

the sky is the sky wherever you go...
    ...people are people.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Skarpak ()

• Lyssaroa
    If you want to improve your English skills, I can only second Shantra's suggestion: start watching movies and tv shows in english.
    At first it is fine to use subtitles but you should be able to watch and understand everything after a while without them.
    I started watching entire shows and movies in English when I was 15 and didn't need any subtitles ever since.

Also reading books in English help a lot to understand the grammar and help memorizing phrases or how words are spelled correctly.
    Playing games in english also helps. When I started playing GW2 I simply couldn't stand the (partly) horrible voice actors for certain characters
    and switched to English soon after release. (I'm not even switching back to German for my youtube-videos even though I myself speak German)
    I also have a second account on a NA-Server, playing with US-people and chatting with them.

Roleplaying is another way of getting the hang of the language. When I was 19 I joined my first english speaking RP-Group on DeviantArt
    and made great progress. Since I'm constantly using english it developed into my second "first" language and some people even confuse me
    for being British. (Though I think that a native speaker could clearly notice by my pronunciation that I'm not British at all).
    By now I'm using more English in my every day life than I speak German though my grammar can be horribly off sometimes, when I try
    to talk freely.

But yeah, what I'm trying to say is: the more you use it, the more you get a feeling for the language itself and soon won't need a dictionary anymore
    to look up certain words or anything.
    I mean - look at the clock time I'm writing that post: it's 05:30 am and I didn't even need to look up a single word or think about how I want to phrase my
    ideas and sentences. And I got up at 10 am.

So yeah - practice makes the pro :)

And just a small side-note: words like "English", "German", "British" etc. are spelled with a capital letter in the beginning unlike in German,
    where these words would be written "englisch", "deutsch", "britisch". The word "I" for "Ich" is also always written in a capital letter.

ALSO (and this is only important to me :D) it is not "tv series" - it is "tv show" - at least Americans would never ever use the word "series" to describe a show.

"Sometimes I'm terrified of my heart; of its constant hunger for whatever it is it wants. The way it stops and starts."
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

“That which you mistake for madness is but an overacuteness of the senses.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Shadowmaker Serenity ()

• I like the idea of a support community to refresh your English.
    I stopped using the language when I left school but really missed it. So i continued reading books in English ( sometimes I even start translating them just for fun :)) I also can recommend you watching movies, or series (if you want to you can watch youtube-videos or sth. else as well) in English, but don´t use German subtitles.
    We had a french exchange-student and watched a movie together but he paid so much attention to the french subtitles that he did not listen to the actors :/

I´m not watching GoT, so if you want to you can talk about a different topic.
    I really liked Sherlock (with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman) but I´m honest: I watched it in German because I liked the sound of the german voices.
    It´s strange how often I start my sentences with "I" so I guess I´ll just shut up ^^